There has been a noticeable rise in distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks targeting various websites and services in recent times. One such incident was the outage faced by OpenAI's ChatGPT, an AI assistant, due to an apparent DDoS attack last month as reported by SecurityWeek. The hackers claimed responsibility and their motives seem to be political and ideological in nature.
This highlights the increasing threats posed by malicious actors online and validates the need for robust website security solutions. As websites and web services hold immense importance and handle large volumes of traffic and data, protecting them from DDoS and other cyberattacks is critical. This is where a powerful yet easy to use firewall plugin like WP_Firewall can help.
WP-Firewall is a free WordPress plugin developed by the experts at SecurityZen to protect websites from a wide range of attacks and vulnerabilities. Some of its key features include:
- Advanced DDoS Protection: It monitors website traffic and blocks requests that show signs of a DDoS attack such as abnormal traffic spikes, too many requests from the same IP etc. This acts as a first line of defense against DDoS attacks.
- Firewall Rules: Admins can create custom firewall rules to allow/block traffic and requests based on user agent, IP address/range, path etc. preventing malicious actors from exploiting vulnerabilities.
- Web Application Firewall: It incorporates the features of a web application firewall and protects against common exploits like SQL injection, XSS attacks, sensitive data leaks and more.
- HTTPS Encryption: Enforces HTTPS and HTTP to HTTPS redirections to keep website traffic secure and prevent snooping. The forced HTTPS also improves SEO ranking.
- Login Security: It strengthens username/password security and login vulnerability protection with features like two-factor authentication, CAPTCHA on logins and brute force attack blocking.
- Automatic Updates: WP_Firewall auto-updates with new rules and protections ensuring the website always has the latest defenses against emerging threats and attacks.
By proactively blocking suspicious traffic and securing the website at the firewall level, plugins like WP-Firewall can help websites and apps prevent costly damages from DDoS attacks, hacks and data breaches. It provides robust, all-in-one protection for WordPress sites with minimal effort or technical expertise required. If you want peace of mind that your website is protected, consider securing it with WP-Firewall today.